GST-6712 - Pre-requisite: GED or High School Diploma
This is a 12 hour training consisting of three, 4-hour days.
The purpose of this training is to provide a general overview of the responsibilities and requirements of a GST BOCES Special Education Teacher Aide.
Course Aims and Outcomes:
Upon completion of this training a student would feel confident making the decision to pursue a position as a Teacher Aide. Students will have a comprehensive understanding of the daily duties and tasks necessary to carry out the job of a Teacher Aide. By taking this training a student will be ensured an interview with the department and be expectantly more prepared to interview.
Specific Learning Outcomes:
By the end of this training, students will be able to identify Teacher Aide responsibilities as:
- Managing records, materials, and equipment;
- Understanding of Committee on Special Education and Individual Education Plan
- Knowledge of special devices i.e. hearing aids, wheel chairs etc.
- Attending to the physical needs of children; and
- Skilled in lifting individuals, toileting, feeding
- Supervising students and performing such other services such as support academic instruction with the classroom and/or 1 on 1 when such services are determined and supervised by the teacher.
- Overall work ethic
- Attitude and Adaptability
Students are expected to attend all scheduled hours and to be punctual. Respect of others is expected to include no cell phone use during the workshops.